Gwinnett County Military Divorce Lawyer
Serving Military Personnel and Family Members Stationed in Georgia
Military servicemen and women face tough challenges in matters related to divorce, child custody, and family law. The heavy demand on schedules, frequent relocation to new duty stations, health care benefits, and pension plans make military divorce more complex than civilian divorce settlements.
If you are a serviceman or woman, or a dependent of a service member stationed in Georgia, and are considering filing for divorce or have other family law matters, talk to an attorney at Daniels & Taylor, P.C., in Lawrenceville. The partners of our firm are former members of the U.S. Armed Forces. We understand the issues, and we have extensive experience developing strategies for custody, parenting rights, and property settlements that are fair and make sense for the benefit of everyone involved — particularly the children. Even if you and your spouse think you can handle everything amicably, make sure you have legal representation protecting your rights. What may seem like an unimportant matter now can turn into a significant financial or custody issue in a few short years or upon your retirement from service.
Common Issues For Military Divorces
Some issues involved in a military divorce include:
- Where to file: Is it in your best interest to file in Georgia or in your home state of residency? We will investigate the options and advise you regarding the option that makes the most sense in the long run.
- Child custody and parenting rights: What will happen to your parenting rights in the event of a sudden deployment or change to a work shift that does not accommodate a standard parenting schedule? We make sure the contingencies of military life are taken into consideration.
- Financial support: What rights and obligations does a service member have regarding financial payments for child support and alimony? We protect your financial rights.
- Property settlement: Your property settlement is forever. We protect your rights and long-term financial interests. What are your rights regarding your share of the military pension? Can the military health care benefits be conferred to your spouse and children as part of the settlement? What will happen to a house or real estate owned by one party prior to the marriage?
Military Divorce Requirements in Georgia
Military divorces in Georgia follow the same basic legal procedures as civilian divorces, but there are unique considerations that arise due to the involvement of one or both spouses in the military. These may include:
- Residency Requirements: To file for divorce in Georgia, at least one spouse must have been a resident for a minimum of six months. However, military members may meet this requirement by being stationed in Georgia even if they are not permanent residents.
- Dividing Military Pensions: The Uniformed Services Former Spouses' Protection Act (USFSPA) plays a significant role in the division of military pensions during divorce.
- Deployment Issues: Deployments can complicate divorce proceedings. It is crucial to address issues related to child custody, visitation, and support during periods of deployment.
Learn more about our family law services at these information pages:
Contact Our Gwinnett County Military Divorce Attorney Today
At Daniels & Taylor, P.C., we understand the nuances of military divorce and are committed to providing personalized and effective legal representation. Our Gwinnett County military divorce lawyers are ready to advocate for you and navigate the complexities of these cases with skill and dedication. From our office in Lawrenceville, our attorneys represent clients in communities throughout Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Professional & Trustworthy Clients are always our number one priority. We treat every client with the utmost respect and professionalism throughout every aspect of their case.
For over 25 years we have been recognized by our community and have been voted Best of Gwinnett from 2015-2021.
5 Star Ratings Our clients love working with us! Visit our reviews page to read more about their experiences.
Established in 1994 Our firm has been serving clients in Gwinnett County for over 25 years. Lawrenceville is our town!